Friday, May 23, 2003

THE CIVIL RIGHT TO KLINGON AND ARAMAIC?

"Even Spock Would Be Amazed!"
By Paul M. Weyrich
CNSNews.com Commentary
May 19, 2003

I was never one for languages. But I set out to understand Klingon and I must say this is as difficult as Chinese.

[...]

Now why would I be interested in Klingon, which so far as I know, is spoken only in Star Trek episodes? Well, it seems that out in Oregon, the Multnomah County Department of Health Services actually advertised for a translator who can speak Klingon. Why? Well, believe it or not, one of the officials said they have to provide information in all the languages their clients speak.

And guess what? If there is anyone in Oregon who actually prefers to speak Klingon, Multnomah County is obligated to employ someone who can address them in their preferred language thanks to an Executive Order (E.O. 13166) signed by then-President Bill Clinton in August 2000. The news media paid it no notice because the order was issued during the time they were traveling to Los Angeles for the Democratic National Convention.

Multnomah County's solicitation did not escape attention, however. Eventually, the county health service backed off, calling it a mistake created by overzealousness.

[...]

Oh, by the way, I asked Boulet if my taxes were audited, could I have it done in ancient Aramaic since Jesus told us to render unto Caesar what is Caesar's, and as a practicing Christian, it would be nice to have that done in the same language my Lord actually used? Boulet replied that that was "an open question."

[...]


Unemployed Aramaists take note.

No comments:

Post a Comment