Friday, September 19, 2003

AHOY MATIES!

Today is International Talk Like a Pirate Day! (Courtesy of - of course - Dave Barry.) This website has a history of the origins of the day, advice on talking like a pirate, and even an English to Pirate Translator. Out of curiosity I ran a paragraph from my "About PaleoJudaica.com page through it and got the following:


The pirate speaks,"This blog - PaleoJudaica.com - be an experiment that aimst'chronicle and comment on current developments (mainly as recorded in Internet sources) in t'academic fieldo'ancient Judaism and its historical and literary context. When I'm in town, I tryt'postt'it at least once a day, and often I do so more frequently, so please visit itt'see what it be about and then continuet'visit it often. "


What, you ask, could this possibly have to do with ancient Judaism? Well, I ran the search terms ancient jewish pirates through Google and the first result was this article on first-century "Jewish Pirates" from the Livius website.

Arr, arr. Thought you caught me out, dintcha, ye scurvy sea-dogs?

Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment