Tuesday, February 17, 2004

MORE ON THE LOS ANGELES DEAD SEA SCROLL EXHIBIT. Reader Evy Nelson e-mails:
I saw this exhibit yesterday. At best, I'd like to say that I recommend it only for those who know little about the DDS to begin with (history, process, content, etc). However, the unrelenting effort on the part of LDS to link archaelogical findings w/Mormon belief and scriptures could confuse a novice.

The exhibit is small. The 3 scroll facsimiles (Great Isaiah, Habakkuk Commentary, Rule of the Congregation) consist of mediocre photo imaging on what appears to be naugahyde. Viewing these did not compare w/my experience in seeing a couple of actual Dead Sea scrolls that were exhibited at the Fowler Museum (Santa Ana) two years ago. There are some framed actual fragments at the LDS exhibit, but these are displayed at a viewing distance of several feet.

There is a model of the Qumran community which for me was a highlight, but then, only because I had never seen one.

I will not be telling my friends about the exhibit.

No comments:

Post a Comment